16 September 2012

Don't trust your GPS, a buffalo is a better bet


When the brainy guys out there invented something new or come out with  brilliant technological gizmo, they do it with good intention or at least for the betterment of all humankind including the aliens and  the whole inhabitants that roam the galaxy. But of course along the way they would have expected their bank account will be filled to the brink from the promised royalties of which in many cases seldom materialized, at least in the Bolehland. There are of course many who had made millions or billions of moolah from their invention or innovative mind but the number of success stories in our own backyard  is still a far cry from that of the Far land or even our neighbors that are becoming more prominent these days - the Africans with their innovative black money scam.  

Not so long ago, my hand felt a bit itchy to give a try using a very important travel companion called GPS, an acronym for a Gadget that occasionally Piss the S*#@ out of me. This gizmo similar to any other technologies out there is supposed to make our good-self smile behind the wheel and maintain my jolly good mood throughout the journey.  This GPS however, on many occasions had caused me moonlighting to the Atlantis and on one instance had almost caused the whole family the  worst gastronomic catastrophe  ever. This gadget is either point you to the right direction or send you head on with the Taliban in Afghanistan. 

It was our first ever trip to KB, or for the uninitiated this place is simply known as  Kota Bharu via the East-West Highway (Grik-Jeli). It was also a perfect opportunity to test my newly acquired gadget I just bought from an underground dealer at Low Yat Plaza, Kay El. After we picked up my eldest son from his College and a sumptuous lunch of ikan sungai at K. Kangsar, we continued our journey Eastward through the scenic kampungs, beautiful lakes and across the Crocker  Range. I was told the trip should take approximately 3 hours from Grik to KB and not more. To cut the long story short, we took 5 hours to reach the hotel in KB through flood laden kampungs, small winding canals, inching through smugglers trail near Sg. Golok  and almost reroute into our neighboring country, Siam via Rantau Panjang. All because I trusted my GPS. 


Wife :  Why  did you blindly follow the GPS darling? I thought your sense of direction is spot on. 
Me :   The night was dark and my tummy was grumbling. I could not see properly as my head was full with nasi  kerabu and budu.


Perhaps this guys who invented GPS should take some lessons  from the sperm. The successful one who has such precision to reach the target (egg) and later grow to become the inventor himself. Perhaps next time I travel, I should hook my head with an antennae that has a direct link with the North Korean Spy Satellite to direct me to the nearest public toilet at Kedai Payang. 



Migratory birds, the white egret have a very good sense of direction. Each year they migrate to the same spot right in the sawah padi of my blissful Kampung.   They have been coming to visit that particular area.   My younger brother told me that  the kampung folks, who I supposedly have  never heard of H1N1, adding this beautiful bird into their exotic menu regularly. The unlucky birds left their tags and serial ring numbers as the grim souvenir.


The post traumatic Raya reminder. This iconic photograph becomes a testimony to the lack acquaintance (ignorance) of the available technologies in photography - a wireless remote shutter release. I inadvertently set the camera to a 2 second timer and the camera managed to capture my own unique zapin style -  and  my backside with all its glory. Classic!


9 comments:

nahmy said...

Hahaha..haha..'Gadget that occasionally give the Piss of S*#@'....nice one there doc! me to never thrust this GPS..kihkihkih..Gelak Perut Sakit..ni

Mulan said...

my best friend in kl = my gps..

tqs doc for the raya card..

DrSam said...

nahmy,
When I told my friends of my mis-adventure with GPS, they had a laugh of their life as well. They asked me "didn't you watch in YouTube how the Japanese guys plunged into the water following their GPS"? Now I can laugh at myself :)

m.u.l.a.n
GPS = BFF? Have not reached that level yet. My relationship with GPS so far is not on a platonic side. Perhaps I should put some effort in getting to know it better or spend more time with it.




Fadhil said...

Somebody said to me that GPS means Guna, Pasti Sesat...

DrSam said...

Oldstock,
Ha...ha..ha..that's a good one sir!

admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
my said...

we've been cheated once
following the so called GPS's trusted root
ended...jalan bentong lama starting from gombak all the way to genting sepah
dalam hati...ya Allah..kami dah masuk ke dunia mana ni....

DrSam said...

my,

I think we are not the only souls that has been 'conned' by this technology. Our bad as well - our life has been too attach to the lifeless gadgets.

ASH said...

smile!
.
.
.
hehe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...