23 September 2012

Now I can see my future



After a lifetime of having  a perfect vision and almost a supernatural power of x-ray capability scrutinizing the unseen and beyond the obscure, I was informed recently by a very young and petite optometrist  that my eyes need some serious overhauling.  What I mean to say is that, I need to replace my old single focal lens with a multifocal which allows me to read, watching ASTRO and monitoring my kids doing their homework at the same time. A multifocal lens enables me to do multiple jobs which is brilliant and cool. I can recommend this to my colleagues especially in the Public service  to have one. In fact I should recommend it to my maid as well.

The problem started when I realized that I need to put my book a mile away in order to make out what the introductory part was all about.  That explains why I just could not finish every single book that I bought from Kinokuniya, Borders, MPH and Amazon.com in the past ten years. The only book that I've so far managed to finish in a single sitting is on "How to Manage your Menopause Boss". That was while waiting for my connecting flight to Rio de Janeiro after a 5 hours delay.  

This is clearly a syndrome. Our friends in the optical department single handedly coined this  syndrome  as presbyopia.  A simple example of this awkward condition is when you start to have a feeling that your arms aren't long enough to hold a newspapers or a love letter from your sweetheart at a position where you can read it clearly. Simply putting it - I am getting old and almost every part in my body is deteriorating.

Having a multifocal lens is supposed to be fun, but it is not. It makes you look like a handicap person.  Apparently, having a defect eyesight with a pair of specialized glasses don't put me in the same league as a mutant or X-men.  At first I felt like walking on the cloud drifting and floating along with the wind. After a while, I can moonwalking like the late Michael Jackson, the skill I've never known I had before.  Using and trying to comprehend this artificial eyes accessory though doesn't require one to be a genius or having an elephant brain. It needs a special skill which is patience. Initially I have to train my eyes to perfectly align with the designated regions in order to focus. They did and they behaved very well.

"up" and the eyes go up when I want to focus on the TV screen. 
"down" and the eyes struggling to focus all the objects down and beneath my belly. But something is not right as I am having difficulty to focus around this region as somehow my expanded waistline seems to obscure the most beautiful sight every man should have.

This starts to sound a bit weird, but actually given that all middle-aged people are bound to start going wrong in every department, a defect eyesight is not that bad either. First and foremost, I am constantly reminding myself that something is being taken away from me in the most fashionable way - by the Maker. Secondly, it knocks the socks off having some dreaded terminal illnesses such as the 'Malay PHD' which translates as a person who cannot see others better than thou or the 'mata keranjang' syndrome. Both  diseases   so far have no known cure.

Finally I am quite contented. With this newly acquired skills of multitasking, successfully training my eyes to see the unthinkable and having a double vision, now I can see my future bright and clear.


11 comments:

Abd Razak said...

السلم عليكم ورحمة الله

Ya sahabat, kita makin menuju ke arah kemusnahan dan ditunjukkan penglihatan kita mula pudar hari demi hari.

Moga sahabat sihat hendaknya...aamiin

DrSam said...

Abd Razak,
Waalaikumussalam Sahabat. Alhamdulillah dan amiin. Mata zahir kabur tidak mengapa, semoga mata nur-aini tidak dihijab mencemar qalbi.

p/s: jika tidak keberatan, sms hp., no dulu lesap entah di mana :)

nahmy said...

doc,...me too got problem with the sight. but it got cured (temporarily) once I see the 'numbers' written on the ringgit notes...unbelievable! the bigger the numbers the clearer it become even seeing it from afar...

DrSam said...

nahmy,
ahah...I think your suggested cure for the above mentioned syndrome worth an elaborate investigation. Wondering though, do you need a single note of a big pile of cash for your eyes to get 'cured"?

Ros said...

Assalamualaikum DrSam,

Terima kasih ya DrSam..sudi mai ziarah blog Kak Ros yang tak seberapanya nih he,he......

Bila usia kita dah meningkat,sedikit demi sedikit Allah menarik nikmat yang ada..,apa pun yang pentingnya jagalah mata hati ni jangan sanpai ia kelam terus kan DrSam...peringatan buat diri Kak Ros jugak nih he.he..

DrSam said...

wsm Kak Ros.

Jarang kita sedar nikmat yang dikurniakanNya sehingga sedikit demi sedikit diambil semula. sama-sama ingat mengingati.

Syed said...

Been a while doc. How are you, besides your current predicaments that is? Blue skies I hope :)

Wait la doc. Soon more 'going wrongs' will tak place.. hehe. It's inevitable so let's embrace them and grow old gracefuly.. haha.

bookseller said...

Salam hormat Dr, selalu singgah baca, tapi first time tinggal jejak. :)

Semoga dipermudahkan segala urusan..insyaallah.. :)

DrSam said...

Syed,
I do wish the sky is always blue, even during the Monsoon season ha..ha.. But life is good sir. I hope yours is even better.

Agreed with you sir. We should brace our golden years with an open heart and let it comes to us gracefully. That however need good planning and lots of thought into it.

Have a nice day sir.


book seller,

Salam ziarah. Terima kasih kerana sudi berkunjung dan meninggalkan jejak di sini. Laman siber ini untuk kita berkongsi pengalaman dan memanjangkan ukhuwah.

Al-Manar said...

If I say don't worry to you I have the advantage of beingway ahead of you in years. I had an operation for cataract on one eye some vyears ago. I could not have both done because the one had to 'mature' or 'ripe' first. That was how I was made to understand Three years later the second was done.I had to use this long and short distance things. The strange thing is what began to happpen about a year ago. I found no difference between with and without glasses when I went out driving and when I read. So now I have three or four different pairs of old glasses in my drawers untouched!

Just pray that you will go through this wonderful phase. Have faith.

DrSam said...

Al-Manar,

Thank you for sharing your insightful wisdom. I always cherish this life. Your experience that you shared has strengthen my believe that everything in this mortal world is numbered not by days, but by every second.

Thanks again for the doa. Have a good and wonderful life pakcik.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...